Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Movie Inspiration: 2014 Oscar Nominated Films

As an ode to the upcoming Academy Awards, airing this weekend on March 2nd, I’ve created a couple outfits inspired by Oscar-nominated movies that I have also seen.

American Hustle
A story set in the glitzy disco-era of the 1970’s, American Hustle follows two con-artists, played brilliantly by Christian Bale and Amy Adams, who are forced to work for an ego-centric, fame-driven FBI agent (Bradley Cooper) to bring down the New Jersey powerbrokers and mafia.  Jeremy Renner plays the New Jersey political operator who is caught between the mafia and the Feds and Jennifer Lawrence portrays Bale’s witty, unpredictable wife who can bring down the whole operation.

My outfit below pays homage to the groovy-centric fashions of the disco era.  When I reflect on the fashions of the disco era I think of plunging necklines, wrap dresses, jumpsuits, sequins, and fur.  To epitomize this glamorous era, I decided to pair my deep azure colored jumpsuit with gold earnings and necklace along with my metallic gold heels. To finish the look, I wore my faux fur belted coat to add more flare.  Since we aren’t headed to the disco nowadays, this outfit would be a great option if you’re going to an artsy event, such as a gallery opening or a theater performance.

Jumpsuit: BCBG Max Azria// Coat: Gift// Heels: Chinese Laundry// Gold Jewelry: Express
The Wolf of Wall Street
Based on the memoir of the same name, The Wolf of Wall Street tells the true story of Jordan Belfort, a New York stockbroker who lives a fast-paced wealthy lifestyle until his firm is under investigation for engaging in securities fraud and corruption on Wall Street in the 1990’s.  Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Jordan Belfort along with Jonah Hill as his right-hand man, Donnie Azoff, and newcomer Margot Robbie who portrays Belfort’s trophy wife.

When it comes to Wall Street in the 1990’s, yuppie power suits come to my mind.  For my inspiration, I decided to create a power suit of my own.  Since Jordan Belfort lived a prosperous lifestyle with lavish parties, I decided to bring his exuberance to my ensemble.  Instead of a typical colored suit, such as black or gray, I wore my red blazer with navy trousers and a light blue oxford button-up shirt.  I added the perfect vintage tie containing a colorful paisley print and my Ralph Lauren structured purse to add some prestige.  I kept my hair modern by styling it in a topknot so my hair wouldn’t block the tie and blazer from being the focal point of the look.  This outfit does have it eccentricities so it may not work well in a more conservative work environment, but if you work in a business casual or creative setting and are brave enough to wear it, this type of power suit would be a great option for a work ensemble.   

Blazer: Express// Pants: The Gap// Shirt: Express// Tie: Vintage// Purse: Ralph Lauren (gift)// Booties: Wet Seal

Are you going to be watching the Oscars? What nominated films have you seen?
  

No comments :

Post a Comment