Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Kentucky Derby Style

Tomorrow, I’m heading to Louisville, Kentucky for the 141st Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs.  This trip was planned to celebrate my dad’s 60th birthday in May.  Along with experiencing “the greatest two minutes in sports”, Derby fashion plays a huge role in the history of the Kentucky Derby. 

According to the Kentucky Derby’s website, “Colonel M. Lewis Clark Jr., founding father of the Kentucky Derby, envisioned a racing environment that would feel comfortable and luxurious, an event that would remind people of European horse racing. For a well-to-do late 19th and early 20th century woman, a day at Churchill Downs, especially on Derby Day was an opportunity to be seen in the latest of fashions”.


Dressing for the Kentucky Derby is a time to express your inner Southern Belle with bright and pastel colors in lightweight fabrics and of course, donning a decorated statement hat.  Wearing a hat to the Kentucky Derby is believed to bear good luck and its one of the oldest traditions in Kentucky Derby history. 

 To learn more about the Kentucky Derby fashion history, click here.

Dress: Fossil // Shoes: Kohl's // Bracelet: BCBG Max Azria // Hat: Flowers and Feathers - Hobby Lobby
When I was decided what to wear for this spectacular event, I knew I wanted to wear a dress that contained bright springtime colors, but was also comfortable to wear all day.  I recently saw this gingham checkered print dress at Fossil and I immediately fell in love with the color combination.  I tried it on and I loved it even more because it was long enough for my tall frame and it already had a matching tie belt which helps to define my waist.  Plus, the dress was on sale so then I knew I had to purchase it.  When I bought it, I was experimenting the different ways to wear the dress and then I realized I could wear it to the Kentucky Derby because it matched the two criteria above that I was looking for.  For the Derby, I’m pairing this dress with my white wedges for extra comfort along with a customized wide-brimmed hat I made myself.

Are you going to a Kentucky Derby Party?  What are you wearing?

No comments :

Post a Comment