Friday, June 17, 2016

Summer Shoe Staple: Espadrilles


Summer is here meaning it’s sandal weather.  Yes, sandals are your typical go-to shoe during the summer, but have you ever tried espadrilles?  Espadrilles are normally casual, sometimes flat or high-heeled shoes that usually have a canvas upper and a flexible sole made out of jute rope.  This type of shoe originated in the Pyrenees, a mountain range forming a natural border in northern Spain and Southern France.  Once peasant footwear, espadrilles soon became extremely popular in the Spanish Mediterranean coast where they are worn during the spring and summer months.  Espadrilles became popular in the United States during the 1940’s. Nowadays, they are great summer shoe staple and alternative to your typical sandals.

Below I’ve created three different outfits all utilizing my striped lace-up espadrilles that I recently purchased from Soludos.  Also, if you sign-up for emails from Soludos, you can receive a discount on your first purchase.




Outfit #1 – Espadrilles + Navy
The combo of navy and stripes always created a nautical vibe to an outfit.  For this outfit, I wore a navy blue sleeveless shirtdress with my espadrilles.  I topped the outfit with my Stella & Dot Globetrotter Scarf and accessorized with my rose gold Fossil watch, rose gold studded earrings, and a cocktail ring.  I finished the look with my Stella & Dot Hudson Tote in Saddle.  Need an outfit idea on what to wear to a baby shower - I recently wore this outfit to a baby shower.

Dress: Old Navy// Scarf/Purse: Stella & Dot// Watch: Fossil// Earrings: Old// Ring: Old Navy

Outfit #2 – Espadrilles + Prints
Want to mix prints in an outfit, but not sure how to do it?  Here is an idea for you.  Mixing prints in an outfit can work if the prints are of the similar scale and have a common color in the prints.  For this outfit, that color would be black.  Also, I feel stripes are a print’s neutral, meaning I think stripes can be easily paired with other prints.  For this outfit, I paired my stripes espadrilles with a black, mustard, and teal printed top along with a pair of black shorts.  I accessorized with my Stella & Dot Mirage Pendant, a gold belt and chevron bracelet.  This outfit would be a great casual day or night out.
Shirt: H&M (this spring)// Shorts: BCBGeneration// Belt: Target// Necklace: Stella & Dot// Bracelet: Express

Outfit #3 – Espadrilles + Solids
For this last outfit, I wanted the striped espadrilles to be the focus so I kept the rest of the outfit neutral and minimal.  I paired the espadrilles with some trendy cropped flared jeans and a simple beige tank top.  Since the outfit was casual and minimal I decided to amp up the accessories and wear my Stella & Dot Riad Layering Necklace, Vista Wrap Bracelet, and Gold Pavé Chevron Ring with other simple gold rings.  I finished the outfit with a summer Panama hat and straw inspired tote bag. 

Shirt: Old Navy (sale)// Jeans: Old Navy// Purse: Target// Necklace/Bracelet/Middle Ring: Stella & Dot// Other Rings: World Market// Hat: French Market (New Orleans)

Do you like espadrilles for summer? How would you wear them?

No comments :

Post a Comment