Friday, December 11, 2015

Outerwear Trend: The Cape

December is definitely coat season! The days have been getting shorter and nights longer so the weather gets chillier faster.  However in Des Moines this week, the forecast has been in the 50’s.  For those days where the weather is fair and it’s not a blizzard outside, do I have a great coat option for you...the Cape!!


I love capes because there is something nostalgic about them – they bring me a different time and various locales.  Also a cape is a great polished option instead of your peacoat or overcoat.  Below I’ve created three different outfits utilizing a cognac cape I recently bought off of Etsy (it was also a gift I gave to my bridesmaids for my wedding this past October).


Outfit #1 – Parisian Chic
Since capes are sleeveless and don’t have structured shoulders nor silhouette, I feel it has some feminine qualities, and when I think of a place that embodies a woman that is both feminine and polished, I image Paris.  For this bon chic bon genre outfit, I wore my cognac cape over a tan and black striped turtleneck paired with black A-line miniskirt.  I accessorized the look with a black velvet beret, pearl multistrand necklace, and black patterned tights to add more femininity and texture to the ensemble.  I topped this look off with a pair of black faux suede booties.

Cape: Etsy // Turtleneck: The Limited (this fall) // Skirt: Express // Tights: Target (old) // Shoes: TJMaxx // Hat: gift (old) // Necklace: Old
Outfit #2 – Collegiate Inspired
For this next outfit, I traveled over to London to learn more about Sherlock Holmes, whose stereotypical plaid cape inspired me.  Now I didn’t copy the outfit verbatim, but when I think of plaid in this sense, academia comes to mind.   For this collegiate inspired look, I wanted to keep it minimal and tailored by using texture.  I wore the cape over black ankle pants paired with a crisp white oxford button-up under a red cable knit sweater.  I finished the look with black faux fur smoking slippers and a red knitted winter hat.

Sweater: Target (this fall) // Shirt: Express // Pants: The Gap // Shoes: DSW // Hat: old
Outfit #3 – Après Ski
For this last outfit, I wanted to create a look that was more casual than the other two, but still had a cozy wintery vibe.  This outfit is for a woman who wants to walks the streets of a chic ski town with a hot chocolate in her hand.  I wore the cape over dark skinny jeans paired with a cream cable knit sweater and cognac riding boots.  A pair of winter boots would be a great option as well if the ground is layered with snow or slush.  I topped the ensemble off with a cognac and maroon knitted hat and a cream winter scarf.

Sweater: Old Navy // Jeans: American Eagle // Boots: DSW // Hat: Amana Woolen Mill // Scarf (3 piece set including hat. gloves, scarf): Kohl's (this season)
Which outfit is your favorite? Would you wear a cape?  How would you wear it?

No comments :

Post a Comment